Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Reflections on Chapter 8

Reflect on this chapter.  Choose a line and write to it...or whatever works best for you.

8 comments:

  1. Chapter 8 was for me the most useful chapter so far. Even though I have used so many (if not all) the activities/suggestions in previous chapters, this one is the one I NEEDED to read.

    I prepare, and analyze and have students predict and stop and reflect the reading, but when the book or reading is finished- it is put away with maybe a final project or test.

    This chapter was perfect timing for the Harry Potter novel we are just beginning. I have outlined, highlighted, sticky noted (is that a word) and charted out this book according to the strategies. I know which strategy to use for the different readers and have found that the most helpful in this chapter. Giving the students options so they are not overwhelmed with the assignment and can just tell me about what they remember or have read about or just discuss what they are thinking. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ch 8 covers a lot of strategies that I first learned about when we adopted the HRW anthology. One of the strategies that I have really come to enjoy doing with kiddos is the "It Says, I Say" strategy. I love the way it forces the students to be very direct and purposeful in their thinking and inferencing. Before starting this strategy, I always do a few observational situations where humans infer without even realizing they are doing so....involving umbrellas and impending rain, minivans painted with spririt paint driving down the highway, or a teacher who looks completely exhausted. I simply ask the students to be mindful of their observations, think about past experiences they have had, and then apply their thoughts/knowledge to the information right in front of them. They love doing this oral activity, and then when we read, the process goes seamlessly. (usually!) I am always struck by the same few kiddos who think in a very literal manner and need more nudging than others, but hey, that's why we directly instruct such strategies! Strong readers do this without even thinking about it....some of the students who have a hard time seeing the "gray" simply need to be led along a bit further in their thinking. This strategy reminds me so much of SWBS because of the way the reader and thinker is compelled to verbalize those thoughts that may seem so "automatic" to strong readers. By applying metacognition and thinking aloud while making inferences or summarizing, all readers (and writers) in the room practice slowing down, thinking about their thinking, thinking about what they know, and then being more thorough in their purpose. It's interesting to me how strong readers in the room will always say something like...."Hey, I knew I did that, but now I know why I did it." Such a comment truly helps the struggling readers to see WHY it is so critical to think about our thinking and to go BACK and rethink something that they've read if they're unsure about it. It really does all fit together. Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kathy's comment about Chapter 8. This chapter had so many wonderful strategies. Some of my students tend to read and don't stop to think about what they are reading. They want to finish the book and move on to the next one. Using the strategies from this book has forced some of my students to stop and think about what they are reading. They've enjoyed SWBS when we've read books aloud in class. I've encouraged the students to stop while their reading and reflect on it. One of my students has a difficult time. He hates to write about and think about what he's reading. Chapter 8 has provided me with new ideas to use with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan M. Says...


    Chapter 8 Reflection
    Chapter 8 looks at after-reading strategies to encourage understanding and extending meaning. Two of the strategies, sketch to sketch and using different scales, seem to be helpful in thinking more about science concepts /content. The sketch to sketch strategy is similar to what the textbook already does with the diagrams and pictures. The sketch to sketch strategy has students create symbolic sketches of the interpretations of the text and write an explanation on the back. Then the students share their sketches which could generate a fair amount of discussion about the material. It would be interesting to take the text from the textbook without the diagrams and pictures and have students create those pictures and illustrations as a means of working through the ideas and developing a mental picture of the concept rather than looking at the picture.
    The use of scales about science topics could be very useful to help students start a discussion about a topic like environmental issues and the way we use natural resources. The students could use a scale to compare and contrast environmental issues, possible solutions and opposing views. Students then could research to clarify what is fact-based and what is merely personal opinion. From these discussions generated from the use of the scales, students could start to draw conclusions and predict what might happen in the environment based on the possible solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan M. Says...


    Chapter 8 Reflection
    Chapter 8 looks at after-reading strategies to encourage understanding and extending meaning. Two of the strategies, sketch to sketch and using different scales, seem to be helpful in thinking more about science concepts /content. The sketch to sketch strategy is similar to what the textbook already does with the diagrams and pictures. The sketch to sketch strategy has students create symbolic sketches of the interpretations of the text and write an explanation on the back. Then the students share their sketches which could generate a fair amount of discussion about the material. It would be interesting to take the text from the textbook without the diagrams and pictures and have students create those pictures and illustrations as a means of working through the ideas and developing a mental picture of the concept rather than looking at the picture.
    The use of scales about science topics could be very useful to help students start a discussion about a topic like environmental issues and the way we use natural resources. The students could use a scale to compare and contrast environmental issues, possible solutions and opposing views. Students then could research to clarify what is fact-based and what is merely personal opinion. From these discussions generated from the use of the scales, students could start to draw conclusions and predict what might happen in the environment based on the possible solution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Just because a book is done, doesn’t mean the thinking is done.” This quote really stood out to me because as a teacher, I often think, “Ok, we have finished. Let’s move on to the next thing.” I feel so rushed to get through curriculum, that I find myself not really stopping to reflect on what was just taught. This chapter, however, has given great strategies that I can use to help students sum up their learning in quick, easy ways that also help me to assess their understanding. One of my favorite strategies is Somebody Wanted But So. When I was reading this chapter, I had just finished teaching summarizing to my class. So, I used it during Next Step Learning with my “Review” group. I read the book Miss Nelson is Missing and we used this strategy to help write a summary of the story. I found that the kids came up with tons of examples, too many for a “brief” summary. So, we narrowed those down to the ones that would give us the basic outline of the story to use for our summary. This is a strategy I know I will use a lot, even in the middle of reading to help students keep track of what’s going on as we read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The statement made by Anne in the beginning of Chapter 8 serves as a good reminder – “Just because the book is done, doesn’t mean the thinking is done.” If students are to really get something out of reading, it is imperative that the thinking continues. I enjoyed learning some strategies to keep the process of comprehension going long after the reading has been completed. I can see how the after-reading strategies described can help students organize their thoughts, identify cause and effect, make inferences, and draw conclusions. These are the same skills science teachers look for in their students, whether the students are reading a text or performing an experiment. Kylene describes each strategy in enough detail that I feel I can confidently experiment with using these strategies as a teaching tool. I particularly liked the Retelling strategy and I can imagine how this could be utilized in a science class. I have seen that many middle school students do not know how to determine what is important to “retell” as they read or experiment. As Kylene shows us, providing a retelling rubric can serve as a guide for students. I agree with her that students should not be expected to guess what is important. Using a rubric such as the one diagrammed in the book can teach a student what sorts of things are important. With consistent use of this rubric, students will eventually be able to retell without reliance on a rubric at all. The Retellings Progress Report Chart not only helps the students chart their growth, but it will help them gain confidence as they visualize their progress. This is definitely a chapter I will reference as I plan my science lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chapter 8 was valuable in so many ways...It was a complete wrap up of all the classes this year and activities and teachings you have modeled for us. I have tried to incorporate as many of these into my teaching as much as possible. The students love the new strategies and for me.. fresh perspective is something to get excited about. I am anxious to try try some of the post reading strategies with my class as we are finishing an intense language rich book.. In looking at Save the Last word, I see that they will love it and it will be so appropriate for this class and book! The re-tellings will also be something that I will try to incorporate also.

    ReplyDelete