Sunday, March 11, 2012

Observations for our Continued READING

Who did you observe and what did you notice that pertains to our work together in this course?  What strategies did you see in action?  You can also just post a copy of the Thank you that you wrote to the colleagues that you visited.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Lisa,
    Thank you for opening your Language Arts class to me on February 23. Your room is very comfortable to be in, your manner calm, and your relationship with your students is one of trust and fairness.
    Mufara’s Beautiful Daughter was the subject of the lesson. The kids had completed the “Anticipation Guide” when I arrived and were in small book character groups discussing their before and after choices. I stopped to talk with several groups, and all of the kids I spoke to were able to verbalize expectations and explain their thinking.
    I really liked the journal assignment. The kids jumped right in and readily wrote their defense of one anticipation guide statement. The after writing sharing was terrific. You chose sharers fairly, and the question and answer portion was interesting and just long enough.
    While you did some remedial work on prepositions with a small group, the other students had the opportunity to free write or free read.
    I love your classroom management techniques, and I’m pleased to have learned from you.
    Sincerely,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Observation of Maryjo Smith’s Language Arts Class
    3/20/2012
    At the beginning of the class four students were at computer stations and all the other students were at individual desks. Mrs. Smith started the class with a review of hallway behavior. She told the students that she had a positive proposal to help them improve their behavior. They can earn outside reward time. Mrs. Smith asked the students to come up with ways they could remind themselves and others to stay in line and walk quietly. Several students came up with quiet hand signals. Mrs. Smith then moved on to writing time.
    Mrs. Smith put some writing choices on the board and then set a ten minute timer. The choices on the board were:
    1. Free choice
    2. Continue writing from a previous prompt
    3. Write about spending the day with your favorite person
    4. Drip, drip, drip
    Students all settled into reading and writing quickly. Mrs. Smith put on quiet writing music. She then turned on the smart board and began to write. Some students took a break from their writing to read/watch the smart board, but most went back to their own work. Some took short breaks to glance up again. Most students were so focused on their work that they never even broke stride when the smart board went on. Having Mrs. Smith’s writing to look at seemed to help a few students. I think it gave them a place to regroup or focus their attention when they were not writing.
    The mood in the classroom was very calm and relaxed. Two or three boys were periodically looking up and reading Mrs. Smith’s writing. One student wanted to point out a spelling error on the smart board. Mrs. Smith just shrugged and continued writing. After ten minutes the timer went off and all students returned to their own seats without prompting.
    Next, Mrs. Smith told students that they were going to work on Rev It Up (our vocabulary program). Students turned to page 80, which is the beginning of a reading selection. Mrs. Smith started thinking aloud, using predicting and inferring. She used the illustration at the beginning of the story. Mrs. Smith then had students do some predicting and inferring from the illustration. She began calling on students, but not just the ones with raised hands. I then realized that she was whipping around the room, expecting everyone to predict something from the picture, title or short introduction. At this point it was time to line up for lunch, so Mrs. Smith directed students to leave this book open to page 80 on their desks so that they could read after lunch.
    Denise Copley

    ReplyDelete
  3. The class I visited was reading “Lamb to the Slaughter” as a group. The class was even sitting in a u-shape. Students volunteered to read parts. There was a goal posted on the front white board, “To learn how to discuss literature and grow an appreciation for the short story” (purpose for reading). I would definitely say that with the time I spent in the class, the goal was definitely accomplished. There was such a great discussion within the group, and the students had time to answer questions; students had the opportunity to give their opinion. I also saw students reading with great expression. I saw some great prediction skills. Some responses to questions being asked, students were making connections; I could tell that they were “thinking” about the piece. One thing I have realized is that I am continually being impressed and amazed at what students can come up with.
    I was worried on how I was going to fit these observations in. Being able to do an observation that I wasn’t looking for or watching for something specific was a joy to do. I told myself before I went in to do the observations that I would stay for 30 minutes tops, I ended up staying for the majority of the class periods. Learning definitely begins with observing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Christina,
    Thanks for letting me observe your class two weeks ago. It was nice to see the “thought bubble” activity in action in someone else’s class. I have used the thought bubbles in my class, but you showed me a few variations I can add to support the activity.
    I especially liked the modeling you did on the smart board. It seemed like students had very few questions because you modeled your thinking on the first three paragraphs before you had students work on their own. I especially liked the activity because I remember reading The Indian in the Cupboard when I was in 5th grade.
    After reading and filling in the bubbles I noticed that students seemed eager to share their thoughts with their partners. It seemed that students were willing to share their own thoughts, compared to something like sharing answers to question from a book.
    Also, students were able to easily draw their visualization of the keys from the story because they really understood what they had read. I liked that students made fairly accurate predictions about the rest of the story after participating in this activity. This really showed me that the activity helped their comprehension of the passage. And at the end of class students seemed eager to read the next section because they truly understood what they had read, and wanted to see if their predictions were accurate.
    Thanks again for letting me observe you class.
    Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina M. Says...

    Hi Elliot,
    Thank you for letting me observe your lesson on the Assyrians. It was great to see the same Think Bubble and RAFT activities being used at a different grade level and subject area than what I am used to. It was nice to see all of the students participating and having something to write about. I also liked how excited and creative they were coming up with the RAFT choices and wanting to choose some of the more interesting perspectives. Great job and thanks again!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today I was fortunate enough to observe Pam Alexander. She explained to the class that she would be teaching them how to “Hold Their Thinking”. She explained her expectation for the lesson in very clear terms and in a variety of ways. Pam explained and modeled how to use sticky notes to guide students’ reading. She modeled: asking a question, giving an opinion, making a statement, and making connections. She explained that students would first scan the text, then read, then review. As students read they would use sticky notes to write their findings. After a very clear explanation she explained that some learners are visual learners and so she was also giving them a directions page. The directions were again clearly written and explained. She had students read these aloud as she asked questions, so she was sure all students were aware of the assignment. After this, Pam handed out folders to students who were in need of one. She went over the “table of contents”. This is a paper students keep in their folders where they list assignments and due dates.
    After Pam reviewed the lesson, students were split into two groups. One group used the computers and the other group worked on the “Holding Your Thinking lesson.” There were two students who displayed behavior difficulties. Pam’s calm manner and clear expectations worked well for these students. Pam was able to check in and support students in both groups.
    It was a pleasure to observe Pam. Here calm demeanor and clear expectations were especially enjoyable. I learned much from her lesson. It is my hope that I will be able to observe her at another time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pam,
    What a pleasure it was to observe your class today. I enjoyed your lesson on "Holding your Thinking" using sticky notes to respond to text. I often use this technique and enjoyed seeing how you used these. By observing your class I have a better understanding of what my students are doing in Study Skills. I am hopeful to carry over the lessons they have learned. I hope that I will be able to collaborate with you at some point.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alicia Says...

    Denise,

    Thank you so much for letting me come in to your classroom today. I loved the way you started your LA block with self-selected reading and will definitely be investing in a little stool for next year;)! I thought the project your kids were doing for their folktales was so cute. I can't wait to see some finished products! It was great to be back in school and child-free for a bit! Thanks again! See you tomorrow.

    :) Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went and observed an eighth grade class to see how they structure a shorter block. The lesson involved grammar and writing. There were hands on components, group work, and individual work. I think the more beneficial thing was to pick the teacher's brain to see how they balance everything they need to teach in the curriculum with. I learned some new scheduling things that I can use to rotate things in my block. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete