Thursday, December 1, 2011


For this blog I am going to ask that you choose a specific quote from your reading in Chapters 1- 4 in our text, post that quote in quotation marks (of course) and write "to" that quote. What does this make you think about? Wonder about? Why does this particular quote speak to you, bother you, keep you thinking?

17 comments:

  1. The quote that stuck out to me was on pg. 45. Kylene says "Comprehension is both a product and a process, something that requires purposeful, strategic effort on the reader's part-anticipating the direction of the text (predicting), seeing the action of the text (visualizing), contemplating and the correcting whatever confusions we encounter (claifying), connecting what's in the text to what's in our mind to make an educated guess about what's going on (inferencing)."
    When I read this quote it reminded me of all the things my students are doing when they are reading silently in their seats during silent reading time or during Social Studies class. It reminds me that a lot of my students can't do all of these processes in their head and this is why they don't like to read. I wondering what else I can do. Kylene provided me with wonderful ideas and I have strategies from my teaching experiences, but all students are different and I need to find new ways to help them. I liked the chart that Kylene has in her book on dependent readers. As I was reading this chart I could list the students that fit into each category. This quote is making me think about how I can become a better teacher for my students who are below grade level as well as the students who are above grade level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He was a quiet young man who seemed to have mastered the art of being invisible." I hear you, loud and clear. I don't feel like I am teaching this invisible kid anything. ANYTHING. I chase him for his work. I allow him to draft his letter essays (my "comprehension" teaching/assessing tool) and resubmit, but direct reading instruction? Uh, help. What DO I do? Hold them accountable. Boy, I'm good at that. So he isn't pulling one over on me, that's for sure--and his grade shows it--but can he read better now than he could at the beginning? I work my ass off with finding the right book, allowing for choice, "Let's go browse together," but teaching him to read better? I guess I was delusionally hoping that if I could get him reading books he was interested in, the rest would take care of itself. Not. Tomorrow I'm going to sit with him and ask him to read to me because I have no idea!

    AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote from our text that struck me was "Comprehension is both a product and a process, something that requires purposeful, strategic effort on the reader's part-anticipating the direction of the text (predicting), seeing the action of the text (visualizing), contemplating and the correcting whatever confusions we encounter (clarifying), connecting what's in the text to what's in our mind to make an educated guess about what's going on (inferencing)." The reason this quote spoke to me was because I wrote my master’s thesis on the effect of using literature circles and vocabulary instruction on reading comprehension. For my thesis I had tested students’ comprehension through direct vocabulary instruction and compared it to reading comprehension results from the use of literature circles. Through the research, I found that both the vocabulary instruction and literature circles increased the reading comprehension of my sixth grade students. The greatest achievement was noted when I had the students use literature circles to apply the vocabulary words in a variety of ways including: acting out the words, drawing them, making connections to the text, using the thesaurus, and making real-life connections. I discovered that in order to increase reading comprehension, students must have multiple exposures to the same vocabulary words, apply the vocabulary in a variety of ways, and have time to discuss the text with their peers with guided questions.

    Due to this discovery, I have been using these strategies in my literature circles this year as well. I agree with the author about reading aloud to the students. Like the author, I provide the students with their own copies to follow along. Some students, however, prefer to simply listen to a story. I think most students (and many adults as well) still enjoy being read to.

    I also appreciated the “if-then chart” (figure 3.2) to help assess the comprehension needs of a student. I can definitely see myself referring to this guide and the corresponding chapters to help me help my students achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quote that stuck with me in this reading was one that has already been posted by many of my classmates regarding comprehension as a product and a process. I also found another quote very direct and important and it was: "It's not enough knowing what good readers can do or struggling readers can't do. We must know what we believe about teaching, about learning, and about our role in both. Once that is determined, we can make intelligent choices about the instruction that best suits the needs of our students."
    This was so evident to me, as I am looking at how to reach my high readers and help my struggling and non readers all in the same class and at the same time. I am constantly questioning if I am doing all I can to reach the readers in my classes that may not "get it" or the ones who may be "bored". As a social studies teacher also, I have more than just language arts to help teach the skills of reading and model what good readers do.
    Having the reminder and the charts was such a wake up call as to the many other ideas and skills I COULD be using. My language arts class and social classes are all taught with a similar energy, but they are never taught in the same direct instruction way. The make up of the classes(Reading levels) dictate my instruction as the class moves from minute to minute and day to day! I am so grateful for the charts in these chapters and as I stated ..the wake up nudge that I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Kim C.

    As I review the last few pages of Chapter Four, I was reminded of the "tangled complexities" of the reading puzzle. At one point, Kylene states, "I suspect that much of the reading story will always be tangled, in part because whe one group decides that the best way to untangle the complexity is by pulling on one particular thread, another group will resist that solution and pull on a separate thread." She goes on to mention students like "George" being caught and "waiting" for us to know what to do. It's interesting....I feel like a "George." I feel "caught." As someone with a process reading and writing background, I know that I have strayed at times from the focus on the critical thinking processes involved in reading and writing, while pushing my students toward what seems "black and white and test-related." In other words....I have to give CFAs on specific skills, and in order to be sure that students are prepared for these, they have to learn how to 'think for the test.' OMG...I am uncomfortable posting this! I was soooo taught NOT to teach this way. OK...so, many of us have been conducting our covert operations and trying to make sure that students can do the "surface answers" required for a CFA while still learning how to think, respond, problem-solve, create, synthesize, etc. when reading and writing. What incredible dichotomy here. So...what to do? As I read the text, I am constantly reminded of how we do need to listen our gutts and get back to deep thinking, metacognition, reflecting, and listening to our students and their needs. Yes, students do need to know that the beginning of the story is called exposition. However comma isn't it just as (and more???) important that the students can identify why or why they are not remembering what they just read? Isn't it just as important that they want to read another piece by that author? Or perhaps, they are prompted within themselve to write and respond to what was written? Perhaps that response is not in a multiple choice format? Yes, this still frustrates me. OK. So, I know our kids need to know how to test well. They need to know what the person asking the questions is looking for....however, what is more important to me is that my readers and writers learn about themselves as readers and writers---their strengths, weaknesses, goals, challenges, etc. I keep coming back to the fact that the few kiddos who need reteaching after a CFA are precisely the ones whom I have identified as needing it.
    OK. Breathe. So, I am hoping we get back to the place where we put the emphasis on the processes and important strategies in assisting the developing readers and writers. In the meantime...I shall continue to be covert in trying to do what is best and right-- and....what I am required to do. I hope I can keep my head above water in the process....
    Kim C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy Wotton Said...

    “Once we can define whats working and what isn’t working, then we know how instruction should proceed.”

    I find that I look around the room and see all the different readers and say to myself “Where do I begin?” How do I meet all these individual needs and still do the other programs (rev it up, spelling , grammar…)? I often feel like I am just teaching at the surface level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Melissa...


    “Comprehension is both a product and a process, something that requires purposeful, strategic effort on the reader’s part –anticipating the direction of the text (predicting), seeing the action of the text (visualizing), contemplating and then correcting whatever confusions we encounter (clarifying), connecting what’s in the text to what’s in our mind to make an educated guess about what’s going on (inferencing).” This quote encapsulates reading strategies that I would like to incorporate into my science lessons in order to enhance the students’ ability to comprehend materials we read in class as well as outside the classroom.
    I liked the way the student teacher, Kate, compared the process of growing older year by year to adding additional layers to an onion. As I read Kylene’s suggestions for improving reading comprehension, I feel that I am learning how to build the layers of reading strategies for my students. It all just started with a germ of an idea – in order for my students to get the most out of science class, I need to assist their ability to comprehend what they are reading to grow and flourish. There are many ways I can do this. Each strategy I incorporate in my lessons adds an additional layer to their onion. As the onion develops, it stores energy for the future, allowing the onion to eventually blossom. I am not talking a Bloomin’ Onion ordered from the appetizer menu at The Outback Steakhouse that is completely gone when it is devoured. I am referring to the onion flower itself, which arises from the bulb, blossoms beautifully, and then produces seed to ensure continuing growth. Yada, yada, yada – okay, I do not take myself that seriously. Besides, everyone at DMS knows that those onions grow in fields of cow paddies (at least that is what we learned at a faculty meeting.) In the book we were told that a good reader makes connections. I am trying to be a good reader and that is where the connections led me!
    These chapters do present many strategies that a non-language arts teacher can incorporate into lessons. As my students read their textbooks, I can help them dissect the pages of the book – from key terms and concepts to information presented in diagrams and captions to pictures. I can’t assume that they are working at understanding the text. I can tell that many students are letting reading just happen to them. Their eyes pass over the words on the page and they just read along, not stopping at difficult terms or looking at diagrams that often contain information not presented in the reading. Well, they do look at the diagrams, but they do not dissect them – they do not comprehend what the diagram is portraying. They are not reading the labels or referring to the captions to understand the concept the diagram is illustrating. All of the strategies Kylene explains in these chapters can be applied to a diagram in a textbook! Even with a science book, the osmosis plan Kylene refers to when discussing her former student, George, does not work. Osmosis is a type of passive transport – a process that does not require the cell to use its own energy. Reading is much more like active transport – by presenting reading strategies to our students, we are helping them manufacture their own transport proteins which use the energy of the cell itself to “pick up” molecules outside and transport them inside. As Kylene points out, reading is “something that requires purposeful, strategic effort on the reader’s part. “ Okay, enough with the connections – you all know where this connection is going! I think I will stop here and have a Bloomin’ Onion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa D. Says...

    I have two quotes I would like to comment on.

    The first can be found on page 24: “When we say a student can’t read, that might mean he or she…” Then this quote is followed by a huge list of skills students may or may not have. The list starts out with very basic decoding skills that allow students to actually read the words. Then the list continues on with higher-level reading skills that enable students to delve deep into the text. If all this “might” be true of students who CAN’T read, then NONE of my students can read.

    I teach many of the concepts in the latter half of the list every day in my classroom. I know these skills make my students BETTER readers, but does that mean they can’t read in the first place? Because I teach these ideas, am I to assume that all kids can’t read? I guess I’m having a hard time defining what it means when a kid can’t read (much like what this book is outlining).

    I think about the skills at the beginning of the list. These are the skills I would expect my students to already have coming into a sixth grade classroom. However, there always seems to be a few students without these basic skills. If you look at page 27, there are examples of skills a student can’t do followed by what the teacher can do to assist in the development of those skills. As a sixth grade teacher, if a student comes into my classroom not knowing how to decode single and multi-syllable words, how am I supposed to teach them this skill when I’m expected to teach the higher level skills? Where do I find the time to do that? More importantly though (for me) is that I don’t know HOW to do this! I guess this is the heart of what I want to comment on… I have no clue how to teach decoding and the other basic skills that many kindergarten and first grade teachers work on every day. I was NEVER taught! And yet, I’m, supposedly, it’s my job to teach kids how to do this. AHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Testing, one...two....three....

    ReplyDelete
  10. opening an account-sorry to show this:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read part of chapter 6 and I'm enjoying all of the wonderful ideas it contains. I tried the tea party activity with my class. My students enjoyed it. Both groups were able to figure out the subject we were reading about. They used their prior knowledge and figured out that they were going to read another story about the Endurance. It was a great way for the students to learn how to work together, use their prior knowledge, and learn new vocabulary words. Since it was the first time they were doing the activity I broke the students into two groups. The next time I do the activity I'll put them into smaller groups. I'm planning on using another activity from chapter 6 when I get back from winter break.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MARK---I NEED TO SEE THAT POEM! When I asked B if I could see it, he nodded! :) You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in the middle of a read aloud right now, so I chose to do the modifed version of Probable Passage (Word Splash). I also did this because I wanted students to understand what we were doing before I brought out Probable Passage.

    I chose 5 words (kitchen, wondered, sack, crackers, keep out) that would appear in the next chapter of the book, and I put them on the board. I told my students that these words would be found in the next chapter and that in their groups they were to write a prediction statement about what they think would happen next in the story.

    Many groups guessed that the main character (Emily) was going to ignore a "keep out" sign that was on a kitchen door and go in. Inside she would find crackers in a sack. Each group used "wondered" in a different way... some said Emily wondered what was in the kitchen, while other groups said Emily wondered if she should take and/or eat the crackers.

    This activity was really simple and easy, but that is why I liked because it was a nice change from the normal, "What do you predict will happen next?" I like how it got the students thinking with more depth and specificity even though they didn't know what was coming up. Next week, I will introduce the Probably Passage worksheet and try it with another chapter of our book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Frontloading meaning. Even the title of this chapter reminds me that the way I introduce a new lesson that involves reading has an effect on what the students get out of the lesson. Ok, all of the language arts teachers already are in tune with this - reading is a big part of language arts class, but I can honestly say that it is usually not a big part of many middle school science classes. Look, I am having an “aha moment” with this, so I will go ahead and write about it. Just bear with me.
    On the first page of the chapter, Kylene discusses the results of a survey she took at a convention. When asked, “What do you do prior to reading to connect your students with that text?” 68% of the teachers said they tell a little about the author, etc. and 19% discuss vocabulary words. Only 13% of the teachers introduce a reading selection by doing something other than “telling.” Are we placing our students in a role in which they are being prepared to be the receiver of knowledge rather than the seeker of knowledge?
    I am guilty as charged. Reading has been relegated to only a minor supporting role in science. So many science teachers complain that the students can’t read the textbook. Many resort to only referring to the book on the rare occasion when there is an interesting diagram. We make up notes for the students from the textbook. We summarize the important parts of the chapter in a handout, and then summarize the handouts in a study guide. Students only have to read the bulleted points we have selected for them as important to know. We seem to be doing a great deal of “telling.”
    I am beginning to realize (baby steps here) that publishers are not preparing science books at a reading level that is too high for our middle school students as we so often complain. Perhaps the problem is that we are not helping our students become successful at reading the science textbook. Some students are naturally seekers. They internally make connections, anticipate, and ask questions before reading. That is why my better students learn as they read. Now I understand why the dependent readers have trouble getting anything out of what they read in science. It may not have anything to do with the textbook. They are passive readers. They read the words just fine. They are not actively engaged with what they are reading, so they are not learning from reading. So now I can come back to the topic of frontloading meaning.
    I was very excited to use the K-W-L strategy. I used this as an introduction to the respiratory system – a human body system chock full of interesting tidbits – breathing, coughing, choking, hiccups, sneezing and smoking cigarettes. I presented the lesson a little differently in each of my 4 classes. I was anticipating wild enthusiasm from my students. After all, middle school students love topics leaning towards the science of gross-ology! I was disappointed that the students did not share my excitement with K-W-L chart. Oh, the places they could have gone with this. But I tried to keep in mind the purpose of creating the chart. It is not about the chart itself. It is all about frontloading meaning. The true results would be just how well the chart helped the students learn from reading. My plan is to have the students read two selections – a comic book (yes, about the respiratory system) and the textbook. The next day, the students read the comic book and responded to questions that went along with the reading. Everyone did a great job! My students were seekers! Information was found in the text, in the captions, and even in the riddle answers that were printed upside down. I can’t wait until tomorrow when the students will access information from their textbook. The future of the L column is bright!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's the response to a quote from long ago....

    pg. 38. "Teachers--not programs--are the critical element in a student's success."

    Unbelievable. Can we please put this front and center somewhere??? It is incredible. As an SRA kiddo, I didn't read. Actually, I did read a little...I just couldn't answer the questions correctly, so I spent all my time trying to find the right answers....and very ltitle time thinking about what I was reading....

    When did I first read for enjoyment? As a Sophomore at UNH. I'll never forget that day when Jane Hansen told me to "please stop working so hard while reading...." LOL. She was referring to my constant reading of "self-help" books. I remember her asking me why I wasn't reading "light" or "fun" or "enjoyable" books....My answer?! "I don't know how to find them!" Here I was.....a college student ready to embark on teaching. AND---I didn't know HOW to find what I LIKED as a reader. Incredible.

    So...thanks, Jane! Now here I am all of these years later...I spend my summers being paid by the city of Dover to align curriculum and lessons and common formative assessments to programs and GLEs and standards.....I spend my time reading young adult literature and "fun" fiction books "for me." I try to empower my students to find books that they like...books that are challenging for them....books that make them think.

    I agree with this "bullet" on page 38. It IS about TEACHERS and NOT programs. Thanks, Jane! You were an important reading teacher for me. I really kinda needed one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan Manha Says...

    Chapter 5 and 6 (December)

    Frontloading meaning is important if we want students to make connections and develop an understanding of the topics. I have tried the K-W-L strategy in the past without much success. Students seem to be at a loss as to what they wanted to learn. To be truthful, I could understand their difficulty given their limited experience with certain topics or ideas. I realize how the ABC topic brainstorm could really give students a framework or idea of the topics and ideas associated with the new material that would generate questions or what they might want to know.

    Also, the stem starters for “Say Something Comments” are useful for helping students to construct meaning from the text. I realize this is part of the “Say Something” strategy but it could also be used as a means of helping students construct meaning from text while they are reading. The “clarify something” section could be used by students while they are reading science text as a way of thinking about the topics and material. It could help them work through difficult ideas.

    ReplyDelete