Just like in our reading course I am going to ask that you also choose a quote from Penny Kittle's book that you really liked, wondered about, are thinking about and see where that thinking leads you in terms of your beliefs about the teaching of writing and what that means for you and your students. You might also include your belief statement as assigned and modeled in Chapter 2, and your adventures in choosing the "perfect" writer's notebook for yourself!!
“I believe you have to be a writer, no matter how stumbling and unformed that process is for you; it’s essential to your work as a teacher of writing”. When I read that my response was, “Whew, there is hope for me”. I have never enjoyed writing, nor have enjoyed teaching writing. I have always looked for the best way to teach writing; to try to find a purposeful way to teach it. I am looking forward to continuing to read the book to find out how to “Write Beside Them”.
ReplyDeleteI could totally relate to Penny Kittle’s three reasons for not writing; those were reasons I wanted to stay away from writing. I am supposed to be a writer, someone just like my students trying to write.
I was excited to go find a writing journal. I knew that I wanted blank pages within a spiral notebook. Easy enough I thought, not so much! I figured I could find one at Wal-Mart or Target, NOPE! Then figured I would try Staples, of course they would have what I was looking for, struck out again. I then decided to head over to Barnes and Nobles because it was teacher appreciation and I was going to get a discount and as luck would have it they had a spiral notebook with blank pages, yea! I had finally found my perfect writing notebook, or at least I hope that I have.
“I wasn’t supposed to be a writer – just someone trying to write – like them.”
ReplyDeleteThis quote lifted a heavy weight off of my shoulders. I wouldn’t consider myself a very well-rounded author. When I have spare time I much rather delve into a book than create my own world. I can’t remember the last time someone pushed me to make my own work that was not regurgitation of information in some form of a research paper. I felt like a fraud because I was trying to instill a love of writing in my students when I did not have that passion myself. Trying more writing puts me in the same experiences my students are having and now we are sharing them.
When I go to buy something I have a mental list of requirements and going to shop for my notebook was no different. I knew I wanted spirals so I could fold the notebook back. These spirals needed to be a certain size so when I am writing my hand doesn’t bump into it – that bothers me. A hardcover was necessary so I could write in it without having to search for a solid surface to use. I also wanted lines because blank space can overwhelm me because my writing doesn’t always follow a straight line in it and my writing can turn messy. With these notes in mind I traveled to Staples, where I could wander around content for quite some time. Resisting all temptations I went straight to the notebook section with this mission in mind. Luckily, my requirements narrowed the field down considerably. Next, I gathered those together to see which one I would prefer. I decided on a notebook with grey and black flowers on it because the first piece I was going to write in it was about sunflowers.
One quote that stood out for me was when she said that "My teaching was all tell and no show." I definitely feel that I don't do enough modeling of writing. I tell students what I expect but I don't do enough of the showing them how to get there. I use examples of the end product, but they rarely see me go through the process. I use other examples of writing to teach, but I never use any authentic writing of my own. I think it is partially because the fear of writing in front of others (even if they are only 10 years old) and the fear that I am "losing" the students if they are watching me write.I know that this course and this book is focused on modeling and writing with the students and I am excited to try out new stratgies and see where that takes my teaching.
ReplyDeleteI found a journal but still have some finishing touches to make on it. I knew that I wanted a spiral bound notebook with lines on the pages. I felt like Goldilocks as I was looking through the selection. Some books were too big in size and some journals had lines that were too small. I found one that was just right. I was hoping for a journal with a colored cover, but I settled for a black one and will plan on decorating the cover myself.
First, my adventure creating a writer’s notebook. I decided to include my class in this adventure. I have explained to my students that I am taking a class about reading and also a class about writing. I asked them if they would like to create a writer’s notebook along with me. They were very excited, especially when I explained that it would involve Mod Podge. We all had a few days to come up with a basic notebook of our choice. Of course, a number of students did not. Luckily I have a big stash of the one cent notebooks available at Staples once a year. I had cut out pictures and words that were important to me, or things that I just liked. Many students came prepared with magazine cutouts or even Pokemon cards. We spent a class period creating some beautiful notebooks. My students love them. They ask when we are sharing from their notebooks. Several students take them home and continue working on a piece that they shared in share circle. The strange thing is, I still had a nagging feeling during that period that I wasn’t “teaching”.
ReplyDeleteI guess that leads me to a line from Penny Kittle’s book. “Actually, I told him how hard it is for teachers o hang on to what they know is right about teaching when criticism comes from every corner and test scores get the most attention in town.” As I reread that line, it occurs to me that the word criticism jumps right out. How hard it is to think about being criticized. What might a teacher do to avoid that possibility of criticism, even when we know that our instruction is sound? Perhaps it is easier to shut my door and teach, but maybe that isn’t the most honest or best way to carry on. Hmm….
So many quotes jumped out at me as I read chapter 2, but the two that really stuck with me are:
ReplyDelete"The only way to make a connection is to show them!"
and from Katie Wood Ray,"You just have to write a little bit better than they do!"
Both of those really reached to the place I am in my teaching. After twenty years, I still feel like I am not really teaching my students to write well and that is why I am here! I do finally feel comfortable modeling my writing for my students and putting my thoughts out there for all to see, or at least my students. I know I have good ideas, yet I constantly feel the constraints just as Penny does in her book. When and what does it really take to feel completely confident as a true writer to oneself?
As for finding a writing journal, that was easier. I knew right away that it had to have lines and no empty spaces. I looked in all the usual places(Staples & Barnes and Noble) but found nothing that would work for me. Finally, the perfect match was found on a shelf in the wrong area of Target( not even close to the writing utensils). It is perfect, pink & gray flocked and filled with straight, beautiful lines!
The quote the stayed with me was when Ms. Kittle wrote: “You can be a writer and a teacher and still not teach much if you aren’t tremendously organized. If you aren’t as driven to teach and nurture writers as writing demands, then you’ll lose kids who need all of the scaffolding that brings the power of writing well within their reach. Organization leads struggling writers to competence….But the instruction has to come during the process of creating the piece, not in polishing the product, or nothing changes.” I perked up when I read this because I thought, “Hey! I’m organized!” I thought that maybe there was hope for me. However, this spoke to me more because I realize that there is so much that I need to be ready for in being an effective teacher of writing. I need to not only have a goal in mind but also anticipate the students’ “mindblocks” to help them reach their next level in the writing process. I think that the most difficult aspect of teaching writing is that the art of writing itself is such a personal process. There is a fine line that must be balanced when trying to help a student improve their writing and the process, yet not cross it to become critical of what they are trying to convey. Due to the fact that writing IS so personal, as a teacher, I want to make sure that I serve more as a guide through the process so that the student doesn’t think I’m critiquing the story they are trying to share. Additionally I agreed with the part of the quote that said that the instruction must come during the process of writing and not as the “purple pen notes” upon the conclusion of a piece.
ReplyDeleteMy adventures in getting my journal were quite simple. I went to Staples in search of a lined journal. That was my only requirement as I write far too slanted without lines. I also find blank pages to be intimidating as they are demanding to be filled so I knew I didn’t want that type of journal. When I first looked at the rainbow assortment of journals, I knew I didn’t want one with a real leather cover; too much pressure to write something publishable. The first journal I picked up was too large and heavy; too much pressure to fill the pages. The next journal I picked up was bright pink. For some reason, I thought, “everyone will expect me to buy this one.” However, it didn’t “speak” to me. The next journal I picked up was under the hot pink one and it was “just right.” It was just the right size with a leatherette cover. Leatherette says “business casual” to me. If I simply chose a composition book, it wouldn’t be quite formal enough and as I said earlier, leather is too formal. Also, I knew I didn’t want to decorate the cover because I knew if I didn’t get it exactly as I envisioned it, I would be disappointed in myself and reminded of that every time I picked up the journal. The journal cover that I picked was an incredible soothing blue-green color. It reminded me of the ocean in Aruba, my favorite vacation memories to date. I knew immediately that this was the journal for me.
The second rule of Quick Writes really spoke to me: "Write quickly without letting the critic in your head censor you." Even as I write this (on paper first before typing into the blog), I've already crossed out 4 beginnings and half a sentence. I have trouble ignoring something I don't like. "What if somebody looks at it?" is all I can think of. This will definitely require some practice on my part.
ReplyDeleteThis leads me to my notebook. I choose a 3-ring binder and part of the reason was - can you guess? - so I could easily remove what I didn't like. Hmmm . . .
Finally, even though I'n not practiced at quick writing, I believe I am a writer. I enjoy composing letters (even to parents), I write poems for birthdays, and I prepare tributes in eulogy. Every type of writing I've asked my students to work on came with "how to" samples I had prepared. I believe this is a strength of mine, but I also believe I can learn to do better.
This is a test. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a test. :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSo, I started over with my log-in, and let's see if I can post some of my old stuff.....
ReplyDeleteMy belief statement:
I have always been a writer. It began with a rewrite of "The Three Little Kittens" in navy blue "magic marker." I can see that book, and I remember reading it to my dad. I believe it's the only time I ever read to him. An interesting early memory. I recall having to answer questions correctly while doing SRA as an elementary school student. I couldn't do it. I was stuck in the Brown Wolf group for what seemed like forever. This inability to get the "right" answers translated to my thinking I wasn't smart. I know this trickled into school and impacted my writing, although I don't recall exactly. I do know that I believe very strongly in the connection between reading and writing....
Some of my most powerful writing experiences involve writing and emotion. As a middle school student, I wrote a lot of gutt-wrenching poetry that won me a "Young Author's Award." The poetry was filled with reflections of disturbing stuff going on in my family. That writing reached others....for not only did I receive an award....I also received (and grabbed hold of) some "outstretched" hands, as some special adults and teachers grabbed hold of me and helped me to be ok.
As a high schooler, my poetry again cried out to others. Interesting.....I recall my Michael Jackson research paper and A Farewell to Arms, however, my poem titled, "One Sip" reached inward AND outward, as I shared my feelings about addiction that had its monstrous grip on my family. Again, people rallied to support me. I am so grateful.
Several more experiences like these impacted my life as a writer. I guess I always knew I would work with writers and writing...and now here I am teaching middle school. :) Thank God I get to do what I love....
What do I believe about my students as writers? I believe that we need to give them the tools to SHOW WHAT THEY KNOW. I believe this can be done by helping them to fill up their bags with tools related to taking risks, metacognition, and sharing who they are. Regardless of the type of writing students engage in, it is ALL a form of reaching out and sharing. Whether a student is sharing what he/she knows related to an environmental issue, a simple machine, or a personal experience, therein lies WHO they are and WHAT they know. The written word is the vehicle.....I believe it is our job to help our students share what they know, who they are, and what they can do. And I believe writing is sooooo critical to all of the different types of learning humans are required to be a part of….speaking, debating, decision-making, synthesizing content of all sorts, etc. It’s just everywhere…..