So we will begin this blogging by thinking about one of those students that you just can't stop thinking about. Who is one of those students and what makes it so difficult to reach this student? What do you hope for this student and what are some ways you think that might happen? Here I have written a piece about one such student that haunted me every night when I went home.
A Story in Your Pocket...
An Excerpt from A Pocketful of Stories
by Tomasen M. Carey
The Jokes on You
“Humor, like hope, permits one to focus upon and to bear what is too terrible to bear," Harvard psychiatrist George Vaillant, writes in "The Wisdom of the Ego."
“Why did the cookie go to the doctor’s office?”
“Because she was feeling crummy!”
“Do you get it?”
My 4 year old daughter, Emma loved to tell this joke when she found herself in new strange situations. Humor is one of those incredible gifts that we all have for making human connections. This was her way of taking some kind of control over her illness and she loved to tell this joke over and over. The delight in her eyes in seeing who “got it” was sheer heaven, thinking she was so clever and loving the joke over and over herself. There was something in this joke she could see that made her enjoy it every time she told it. She “got” it and was always sure to ask, “Do you get it?”
The getting it is like the secret that she is privy to; the delight is making sure that everyone is able to enjoy the magic of the punch line in the same way as the teller. And there is an art to telling a good joke and the feedback is instant…did you get a laugh or not? You can always tell those who get it as an expression of knowing crosses their faces, and then there are those that laugh to be polite and those who are laughing as they are still trying to figure it out. We have all been there, at one end or the other and of course the worst place to be is to be the jokester that gets no laughs at all. It is a tough lesson, but one that you can do something about right away.
In the classroom one part of our morning meeting was joke telling. There were some rules surrounding the telling. First the joke had to be appropriate for school. Yes, of course there were those who pushed the limit, but for the most part kids were able to discriminate between those that would be acceptable and those that would not. Just trusting them allowed them the freedom and the responsibility to make good choices. The other rule was that you had to practice the joke at least three times and that you had to get a laugh at least one or two of those times before volunteering for morning meeting. This was for two reasons; one was to work on the delivery and to work on making it funny. We would talk about what made a good joke and what didn’t. We talked about the emphasis being on the punch line and how to deliver an effective punch line. These could be classified in our reading curriculum under reading with expression, the importance of audience and comprehension studies. (How is that for meeting standards?) It was a clear test of whether the child understood the joke or not based on the reaction of the audience. If it was not funny we worked together as a group to think about what could be done with the joke to make it funnier. This is revision in real life. Then the child would take his or her newly revised joke out into the world and wait until it was funny enough to bring it back to the class. Everyone had ownership of the joke by then and often there would be many versions of the same joke told over and over again. This gave us time to talk about the fact that authors do this all the time. Once someone has a great idea then other authors try to take the basic idea and make it their own. We talked about how this often happened with jokes and that jokes changed regularly in their details because joke-telling is typically an oral form of literacy that is passed on from person to person. The game of telephone is a great way to show how things change based on the oral telling and that people all hear things differently. Telephone is when you start at the beginning of the circle with a silly phrase or riddle and then have the kids whisper it from person to person until the end of the circle. By the end it has usually changed completely from where it began.
I would always begin the year telling a joke to model how to tell a joke. I would overemphasize the telling in order to be able to point out to the class just what it was I was doing and that there are things that you can do to tell a good joke. The joke I told was about a chicken that goes into the library to get a book. He goes up to the librarian and says, “Book, book book”. This is said like a chicken saying bok, bok, bok with a high voice. (This is hard to put into writing!) The chicken takes the book and returns within 10 minutes shouting the same thing to the librarian, “Book, book, book”. The librarian thinks this is strange but gives the chicken another book. Sure enough if you have heard enough jokes you know that this chicken is going to be back in no time. This structure allows us to look at it closely and see there is predictability in jokes and that if you wanted to make up your own joke then like fairy tales, the magic number of 3 often appears. Well, the chicken magically does show up again but this time the librarian wants to know what is going on, knowing the chicken could not have read either of those books so quickly. She gets on her coat and decides, after giving the chicken yet another book, to find out what is going on by following the chicken. The chicken leaves the library, heads up a big hill, out into a field and through the forest to a clearing. (Again here is a way a leading the audience into what we know is going to be the punch line. I talk about slowing down here and that when I do the audience almost leans in waiting, waiting, waiting and thinking get to the punch line already!) At the edge of the clearing is a pond. The chicken walks over to the edge of the pond where a frog is sitting. The chicken pulls out the book and shows it to the frog. The frog looks at it and promptly replies, “READ IT. READ IT”. Of course this is said like a frog instead of ribbit it is read it. These slight changes in voice are very important because without them the joke is just not funny! So, okay you are thinking this is a dumb joke, and it is. It is also, however an excellent model for kids because it is clean and it contains so many elements of a good joke. This gets kids thinking about their own jokes and jokes they have heard in the past. Often one of the hardest things to do is to just remember the joke. I tell the kids that having one or two good jokes in your pocket is a great way to be in a new crowd. Everyone loves a good joke. But is has to be a GOOD joke. A bad joke won’t get you very far. This also encourages kids to think about themselves in social settings and to think about when it is appropriate to tell a joke and when it is not.
“Jokes compact the elements of storytelling into bite-sized mini-narratives. They are not just funny. For writers and editors, they are models that can help teach storytelling” Chip Scanlon, the Poynter Institute.
Joke telling is a form of storytelling; something that we can use to help our young readers and writer’s to see the elements of a story in a very compact version. To tell a good joke the teller must prepare the reader by setting the stage introducing main characters and setting, the chicken, the librarian and the library.
Next is to provide some kind of background for the reader, in knowing the structure of many jokes, one is sure that the chicken will be coming back at least a couple more times. Also using the voices allows for the characters to know more about them. She is a female chicken with a high voice; the librarian is suspicious about a reading chicken from the beginning.
The joke relies heavily on creating scenes that the reader can follow. The chicken comes and goes, comes and goes and does these actions very quickly, leading the librarian to become even more suspicious.
A good joke creates suspense, engaging the reader as they sit and listen, leaning in to find out what in the world is going to happen next and often this is done through conflict. The conflict here is for the librarian who is miffed that this chicken keeps on coming back without having read a book!
Next it builds to a climax and a clear resolution. We know that when the chicken leaves and the librarian follows that we are going with her and that we will find out instantly just what the chicken is up to.
Finally, is that wonderful element of surprise, the “aha” moment where we wonder how we didn’t get it all along. It is funny that the chicken is trying to get the frog a new book and so we laugh with this quick resolution and twist that we can visualize as being very funny.
Derek was a small fourth grader who had a hard time fitting in. Not only was he smaller than all of his classmates, but also he was somewhat goofy looking and gangly. He had a hard time finding his place in the world and was often seen getting into it with kids. If there was trouble, then Derek was in the middle of it. In the classroom he struggled. As a reader he struggled the most. For Derek, this opportunity to tell jokes, this place where being the class clown was encouraged was his place to shine. By the end of the year he had found every joke book in his local area. I will never forget the day he showed up with a book the size of Webster’s heaved up under his arm. It was titles “A Million and One Jokes.” Derek would sit for hours pouring over this book in search of the perfect joke. It was a ridiculous book for him as it was laden with jokes that were so out there that I didn’t get a lot of them. Many of them politically motivated from cultures all over the world. The schema one would have to have for many of these jokes would put Google to shame! The print was as small as anyone could imagine, but he continued to read over it, searching for that one joke that he did get! And he would know when he would get it. You want to talk about serious monitoring for meaning. He was getting to know himself as a reader through this insurmountable task he had set for himself. He would carry that book everywhere…and did I mention it must have weighed 25 pounds??
At first he would tell jokes that none of us got. Eventually, though he was able to work on finding a good one, practice it and in no time Derek became one of the classes favorite joke tellers. This was his forte’. This was his place to find comfort and acceptance for who he was. This also gave him a very real reason to read and to read for meaning. It also gave him a real reason to write as he then went on to write his own jokes. At morning meeting it would be Derek that everyone wanted to tell a joke. Each day we had time for three jokes. On days when nobody else would volunteer, they would all chant Derek’s name and he would get up and do his own version of a Leno monologue telling joke after joke. He was good. I don’t know where Derek is today, but I have a hunch that someday I may see him on stage at the Laugh Factory!
We need to value children, for who they are, not who we want them to be. We need to look at each child and find the strength inside of him. Derek could also easily have dropped out of school. It was not a place that he “typically” succeeded and joke telling allowed him to have a place in our classroom community for who he was. Don’t get me wrong. This was not that all magical cure and Derek continued to struggle each and every day in the classroom and on the playground, but offering this as an option allowed for Derek and other kids to use their humor in an effective and constructive way. It also allowed Derek to take some of the painful anger in his life and poke fun at that as well. Doris Kearns Goodwin writes in Team of Rivals, a study of Abraham Lincoln where she focused on “the vital role humor and storytelling played in Lincoln’s melancholy personality.” , “He laughed, so he did not weep. He saw laughter as the ‘joyous, universal evergreen of life.’ His stories were intended ‘to whistle off sadness.’”
Where there is laughter there is community, and where there is community, there are safe learning environments. We should each laugh as many times in the day as we can. I remember reading somewhere that we use so many more facial muscles to frown than to laugh…therefore frowning causes more lines in the wrinkles of life. So heck, let’s laugh or in the end…the joke is on you!!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
In my work I find that I am talking more about programs and what we are all "doing" and not talking about "kids" anymore. I want to do both!! I challenge you to try to leave school each day with a story about a child tucked into your pocket. Who will you go home thinking about and why? In this next entry please blog about one of those stories. You will probably want to write this on a word processor first and then cut and paste as they may be longer entries and I don't want anyone to risk losing it! Looking forward to getting to know some of your kids!! The stories can be ANYthing!
I don’t have a specific student that comes to my mind. However, I have many high school students who come to my mind every day. I was surprised to discover we have so many students at the high school level who are struggling readers. I started looking at what we were doing about it. We had a few reading classes but students appeared to stay in these classes long term and didn’t seem to improve their reading skills to the level needed to be successful in their other academic classes. I noticed there were many lower level English classes that were filled with struggling readers doing the same work as the other English classes but the teacher would read all the material to the students. Students still failed these classes and none of the students became better readers. I observed students passing through the system just barely passing classes and often with help from paraprofessionals and teachers. These students graduated from high school with a diploma but remained struggling readers. Will they be successfully employed? Will they be ready for college? Will they even consider college?
ReplyDeleteI found myself driven to do something about this. We have four years with these young adults. There must be something that can be done. I visited other high schools to find out what they have been doing to help their struggling readers. To be brief we ended up deciding to purchase Systems 44 and READ 180. Teachers have been trained and we have about 90 students in these programs. We have a literacy team monitoring their progress. But, it’s not enough! It can’t happen in one class a day. Having taught reading at the elementary and middle school level I understood what needed to be done. However, I realized high school teachers have not been taught how to teach reading and they simply don’t know what to do.
More questions lead me to attend The NHASCD conference “Reading in the Content Areas: Effective Strategies for Effective Learning” by Dr. Anita Archer. This was the answer! We must teach teachers how to teach effective strategies. We need Dr. Archer or someone equally dynamic to work with our school district to teach the teachers what they can do for kids who can’t read!! She has outlined exactly what all teachers can do for kids who can’t read. She provides a structure for modeling effective strategies and teaching effective strategies over and over again. It will be important for all teachers to teach these strategies in all classes throughout the day from K through 12th grade. Kylene Beer’s book aligns well with Dr. Archer. Kylene Beer’s book provides more anecdotal notes, more details, a deeper meaning and renews one’s passion for teaching. She brings Dr. Archer’s conference to life. This isn’t about programs this is about teaching. This is what our students need.
This year I am fortunate to have a student teacher. There are many different reasons I enjoy having Patrick in the classroom, but probably the best thing is having another adult to enjoy the idiosyncrasies of 7th graders. Almost every day after school we reflect on how the class went, and revel in stories about students and their humorous and unique personalities.
ReplyDeleteI have one student in particular; let’s call him Stephen, who really makes each day more enjoyable. Stephen is in my homeroom and I get to see him first thing every day. Stephen is an extremely polite student and goes out of his way to say hello each day. He then will make small talk, which is something most 7th graders are not highly skilled at. One morning he approached my desk, and said “hello Mr. Pope, how did you sleep last night.” To which I replied, “um, pretty well, thanks.”
Stephen is also a very persistent student. If he does not feel there is closure to a conversation, or he does not get the response he is looking for, he will bring up the same topic every day. Most days when Stephen enters the room you know what he is going to say before he even opens his mouth.
A few weeks ago Stephen offered to give his family’s chili recipe to my intern Patrick. Patrick is a student at UNH, lives in a dorm and has a meal plan, so the closest he comes to cooking is telling the dining hall ladies how many grilled cheese sandwiches to put on his tray. Patrick explained this to Stephen, but each day Stephen came to school and asked Patrick if he had tried the chili yet.
After about two weeks of overhearing this conversation I decided I needed to take action. I had Stephen write down the recipe, stopped at the grocery store on the way home, and bought the ingredients. The next day I came to school with my chili and leftovers for Patrick. When I told Stephen that Mr. Moran and I had enjoyed the chili an ear to ear grin appeared on Stephen’s face.
Connections made with students like Stephen are an important part of teaching. Stephen has never been a student I had a problem making a connections with, but some students aren’t as personable as Stephen. Sometimes the difficult students build walls around themselves, and going out of your way to make them feel special is a way to break through this wall.
When asked to think of readers in my classroom, two boys from my class this year come to mind. They are two boys who are constantly reading. I mean, they must go through at least 5 books a week. It has become a classroom joke that Evan and Issac are always getting in trouble for reading too much, because they are always being asked to get their noses out of their books and pay attention. . It is so refreshing to talk to them about their reading because they just absolutely love to read. As a teacher, you strive to get students to love reading and I find myself wondering where these boys’ passion came from. Home? A great teacher? DNA? I have been learning about them as readers and writers throughout the year. They both read fiction and non-fiction and a variety of genres and come with a wealth of background knowledge; although Evan reads more of a variety than Issac. I often find Issac re-reading novels, where Evan has a new book every day. It is a struggle for me to get them both to write. They both hate to write and have the worst handwriting in the fifth grade. Even given a computer, they struggle to put ideas together in a coherent way. It is very puzzling to me considering all of the writing that they are exposed to. I also struggle with working on application of reading strategies with them, because when work with them over a few days, they have finished one book and are onto the next. So I have been thinking about strategies to keep encouraging great readers to continue to grow and work with their higher-level reading.
ReplyDeleteToday I saw a rare genuine smile from Maryah as we had a writing conference. She is working on a piece about her grandmother. Specifically, about her relationship with her grandmother. My students are currently working on one of my old school writing assignments. They brought in photos of people they love to help them jump off into writing about this person. It must be a real person in their lives (no Justin Beiber). Maryah was working on details for a paragraph about how caring her grandmother is. “My Grandma is nice because she takes me out to eat and I know she wants to be with me”, Maryah explained. When I asked her what was the best part, the restaurant or know that her grandmother was really excited to pick her up she broke into a big, shy grin. This is rare for Maryah.
ReplyDeleteThe first month of school one might have labeled Maryah as Passive. She qualifies for Title 1 services and is more than willing to hang back and wait for others to provide the answers. On Mondays and Fridays when our homeroom did weekend sharing, Maryah repeatedly said, “Nothing really”. I was feeling frustrated with her passivity and lack of spark. Her self selected reading was equally uninspired. She would slowly read assigned pieces, almost never volunteer an idea to discuss our read-aloud and abandon book after book for her independent work.
In January Maryah needed to choose a book for her book project. This needed to be a book that had a strong character, plot, setting and theme. It was a culmination of a long study of all these literary elements. She tried book after book, but was really flat about all of them. I offered her Ramona. The next morning Maryah came up to me on her own during homeroom, an unusual thing for her to do. “I read more of my book last night and I really like it because I can picture what Ramona is doing. She is like a regular person.” Maryah finished the book and eventually the project (although not quite on time). She is now on her second Ramona book.
Maryah is one of few minority students in my class. She is not part of the “in” crowd of girls. My hope for her is that through finding her voice as a reader and a writer it may lead to finder her voice as a young teen girl.
PART 1: I came in wanting to make a change in students’ lives. I struggled with boundaries. I struggled with limits. I struggled with confidence and a voice. I continue to struggle. And that’s good. Because each time I struggle with an issue, I’m growing. I am always thinking and in most cases worrying about my students. I do not think that there is a day that goes by during the school year that I am not thinking of what I should try to help this one, or maybe we should try this, remembering to check in with that one to make sure they did this, and even watching for the little signs that something is amiss to catch it before a meltdown occurs. As I write this, it makes sense to me why I am so emotionally drained when I get home from school. Some days I perseverate more on one particular student; it all depends upon the day and who needs what at that particular moment in time. All the students are anxious. Some become anxious because their learning disabilities make it difficult for them to succeed with academics. Others may have difficulty with social norms. It is apparent that many are extremely sensitive to stimuli and have processing issues. Whatever the root may be, it is natural that they have produced coping skills to help them maintain their own self worth. Though their coping skills may be dysfunctional, as young children they have developed them in order to protect themselves. Many times it is to protect them from the knowledge they are damaged. I feel that if I can foster an atmosphere that student’s feel they have some control and that I am reacting to the needs of my students and not to my needs, my students are less likely to become defensive, and begin to take ownership of their own actions. I am constantly working with them to face their academics with a plan that allows them to feel success and accomplishment. Work on giving choices at times on what they do and how much they do.
ReplyDeletePART 2: Children who have an easy going temperament, a supportive environment, and are intelligent with a healthy body are able to develop with ease and confidently. Students with an anxious temperament, intuitive, and sensitive, are prone to become overwhelmed because they continually are being stimulated by more information than they can reasonably process. Children, who many would describe as mentally slow or physically challenged, find their brain connections may not work at the same speed or ability, thus having difficulty keeping up with peers. And lastly, children who have been abused, emotionally or physically, may have developed a coping means that permanently will hinder their future development. As an educator it is important that I understand that the coping skills that a child naturally develops are not a means of defiance or stupidity, it is means they created for survival. Thus, when I try to change or adjust their coping skills, I may be taking away something that equates to breathing. It is something that is done naturally and without thought, something that keeps them alive.
ReplyDeleteThis week seemed to be one of those weeks were there was a lot of worrying both on my part and that of the students’. Truancy issues, coverage, meetings, phone calls, student’s worrying about the possibility of moving, court dates, students not performing to expectations in class, falling behind in class. The list could go on and on. When students finally reach me they have very little confidence and self worth, I feel that is one of the goals of the program is to help the students find their confidence and self worth. Once those are established, I can begin to help the student show empathy and consideration for others. There are two main steps I try to keep in mind while I help these students. The first is to help them understand themselves and the reason they react as they do. The second is to create an environment that nurtures, supports, models, and educates them in appropriate responses.
A supportive environment should also be one that caters to individual styles. If a student works better with music blaring in their ears, so be it. If a student reads better when in a comfortable chair, let’s do it. If for some, excessive writing is overwhelming, let’s cut it out of their program. When we respect a child, find a means for him to tackle responsibility in an easier way, not only does he become less stressed but he is learning the art of caring for others.
Two students come to mind for this entry. Both boys entered my room in September never have never finished a book (with the exception of the class read aloud). This puzzled me to no end. These were students who could both read on grade level, yet they had not completed any book in their lifetimes.
ReplyDeleteThe first student book hopped on a daily basis. He would read the first sentence of a book, get bored, and move onto another one. He often had at least five books in his desk at once that he would be starting or looking to start. This student did not know what they wanted in a book. I recommended countless books that I thought he would be interested in, we had lengthy conversations about why he didn’t like certain books, why he kept switching, all to no avail. Looking at this child as a whole student he responds well to black and white guidelines so I gave him a timeframe to read a book in. He read the book and loved it. Talking to him after he said that he always used to read the first sentence and move on. He wanted to do that with his first completed book, but he didn’t, he had to finish it for the assignment. He said that once he got a few pages in he could not put it down. Without prompting he set himself a goal that he would read a few pages of a book before he decided to move on or not. Since that first book he has been motivated to read because he knows what lies beyond the first sentence.
The second student in September told me that he hates chapter books and does not read. At meetings his parents agreed that he does not read. I knew the student could read, he just was not motivated to. He would look at a book, measure the spine (literally!), and if it was thick or without pictures said it was hard and would not read it. I kept telling him that he just had not found the right one. This back and forth went on until I introduced him to Geronimo Stilton. With that series he finished his first book and many more. With pushing he moved past that series and is now challenging himself as a reader (even reading books without pictures).
These were two students with an issue that puzzled me at the beginning of the year. I was floored as to how two students could never finish a chapter book before when they were able to read on grade level. I was then faced with the challenge of making them into readers. I first got to know them as people which helped me understand them and how to motivate them. I believe that every student can be a reader; they just need to find the right key to unlock that drive. For these students it took many tries to find the right fit, but once it was found there was no stopping them from growing as readers and students.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFrom Pam:
ReplyDeletePam’s 1st Blog
Every time I read a piece of When Kids Can’t Read, I end up thinking about a student or circumstance and reflecting on what I did right or what I could have done better.
Chapter 1 was my “Michael” chapter, but it wasn’t that Michael couldn’t read, it was that he refused to or possibly couldn’t edit, and that drove me nuts. It was a bone of contention between us, and it’s bothered me for many years that I “might could’ve done something differently.”
Chapter 2 gave me a new view about reading with the “confidence” chart. I had never thought about all of those connections and how the different “confidences” could affect each other. I also reflected several times on the idea that sometimes just showing up is huge, and maybe I should remember that more when I look at and work with a struggling student.
In Chapter 3, the enormous list of dependent student behaviors reminded of how different each student I see is from any other student. I appreciated that Raymond’s comment, “You mean there’s somethin’ you do to be a good reader?” is probably what so many kids think.
Pamela J. Alexander
Learning Through Teaching
2/11/11
On of my favorite parts of middle school is dealing with the characters.
ReplyDeleteI go home thinking about one kid or another pretty much every day. There’s no shortage of characters at DMS, and their antics never fail to crack me up.
There’s Elroy, who has literally no idea what’s going on. At least 3 times a week he informs me that he left his thing-that-he-really-needs-today at home, and then asks if he can go to his locker to get it. He’s always shocked and outraged by my negative response. His pre-assessment ritual consists of telling me that he forgot to study, then asking if he still has to take the test. He does it every time, like clockwork, and he’s always surprised by my affirmative response. On one occasion he asked if he could have extra time for his project, since he’d been sick the day before. I said that he could. He then informed me that he’d actually been faking it. When I rescinded the extension he was, predictably, outraged. He informed me that he’d been unable to do any work because him mom had been suspicious of his illness, and had forced him to spend the day in bed. That, in his mind, made the sick day legit. When I disagreed he threatened to report me to the dean. I sometimes worry about Elroy. I think he’ll do all right. At least I hope so.
Then there’s Zeke. Young Zeke has Down’s Syndrome, a bit of a temper, a well-developed stubborn streak, and an intense, passionate love of Narnia and all things related. For some reason he says that he loves me and he calls me his “sweetheart baby boy.” (We’re working on that one, but progress has been slow.) Lately Zeke is starting to notice that there are other kids in class. He likes the boys. As for the girls, he generally tolerates them if they stay out of his way. A couple of days ago he told a girl to shut up. I know this because he gave me a written confession, along with a cartoon depicting the incident. Then he blamed the whole thing on Peter from Narnia. In the end the injured party (who didn’t actually care) received apologies from both Peter (for being rude) and Zeke (for allowing Peter to use his words). Zeke then turned to Peter and pretty much ripped him a new one. By that point I could just about see Peter, and for a minute I actually felt a bit bad for him. That was quite a conversation.
I could probably continue the list ad infinitum if I felt like it, and that’s the part I like most about my job.